Hip-Hop and dope sneakers have a relationship that goes back as far as the inception of the culture itself. Since the fly and flashy era of the ‘80s rappers have made it a point to be seen sporting nothing less than the latest in urban footwear. Some even paid homage to their latest foot fetish by cutting tracks dedicated to a coveted sneaker, in turn, making the owners of the shoe companies millions in profits in many cases.
The influence of Hip-Hop on athletic footwear consumers is real. Just check out the line at the latest Yeezy shoe release, or the list of major shoe companies partnering with rappers like B.o.B, Lil Wayne, Rick Ross, Swizz Beatz, Jay-Z and Birdman for proof. But their major deals probably wouldn’t have been possible were it not for the early rap cats who inadvertently helped get shoe companies popping just for the love of the sneaker, rather than a check.
Here are 10 beloved kicks whose popularity was boosted by the rappers who rocked (and rapped about) them…
MORE ON HIP-HOP WIRED!
• The Curious Case Of Joseline Hernandez: A Visual Timeline Of Success [PHOTOS]
• 8 Things You Need To Know About 2 Chainz’s Based On A T.R.U. Story
• T.I.’s New “Go Get It” Video Features Big A$$ Mansion, Very Small Bikinis [PHOTOS]
• Dallas Mavericks Star Dirk Nowitzki Marries Wife In Traditional Kenyan Ceremony [PHOTOS]
• Rosenberg’s Night Of Real Hip-Hop With Odd Future & More [PHOTOS]
• Olympic Swimmer Ryan Lochte Banned From Wearing Custom Grill On Medal Stand [PHOTOS]
• 15 People Who Merged Rapping With Singing (Before Drake) [GALLERY]
• 5 Reasons Why The Jackson Family Is Bat Sh-t Crazy
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11Next page »